December 2017  
SMTWTFS
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31    
Upcoming Events
DEC

14

THU
Quilting - CR
9:30 AM
Choir Room
Ladies' Koinonia - MH
9:30 AM
Mission Hall
DEC

15

FRI
Pathways - YR/FH
6:30 PM
Youth Room / Fellowship Hall
DEC

16

SAT
Member Function - FH
8:00 AM
Fellowship Hall
Christmas Social Setup - FH
6:30 PM
Fellowship Hall
DEC

17

SUN
Christmas Social - FH
9:30 AM
Fellowship Hall
Christmas Social - FH
9:30 AM
Fellowship Hall
Pathways - YR / FH
4:00 PM
Youth Room / Fellowship Hall
Grounds - YR / FH
6:30 PM
Youth Room / Fellowship Hall
Latest Message
Pastor Akers
Date: December 10, 2017
Join Our Mailing List

Redeemer Reporter

Bible Search
Submit Prayer Request

 

History

 

The Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer had its beginning in 1918 when a group of Lutheran families voted to organize a congregation. Prior to that time families in the Kokomo area were cared for as a mission by circuit riders who were Lutheran pastors in the area.

Being advised by the Synod that mission work was most effective when a church had its own home, the congregation elected to purchase property about 4 blocks north of the downtown square on the corner of Union and Jefferson streets with the intent of erecting a church building proper. The new church was dedicated on Sunday, May 12, 1918, despite a "disagreeable rain", with dinner for the 500 guests being served by the Ladies Aid.

After several "Calls" were extended, the Reverend Adolph J. Stiemke, a recent graduate from Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, was installed as as Redeemer's first pastor on Sunday, August 25, 1918. He served the church until 1924.

It was during the ministry of Reverend Walter J. Lobeck that a second church building was erected in 1925. The "old" church building was moved next door, renovated and served as the parsonage. Reverend Lobeck served until April, 1935. Reverend Carl Ahlbrand was "Called" April 26, 1936. He officiated with the "Mortgage Burning Service" on September 9, 1945. He remained until 1957

On September 1, 1957, Reverend Rudolph A. Ritz was installed. It was during his ministry at Our Redeemer that the present church at 705 Southway Blvd. , was built, with the Cornerstone Laying Service being conducted on October 11, 1964. The official name of the church became The Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer. Pastor Ritz served until March 10, 1967.

Reverend A. Herbert Muhl was installed as pastor September 1, 1967. Under his care that the Redeemer Lutheran School was formed and began holding its first classes in August, 1984.

Five sons of the congregation have become Lutheran ministers: Reverends Walter Ullman, Thomas Colley, Kent Umbarger, Timothy Muller and the congregation's present Senior Pastor, William Allison.

Redeemer's first building.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The "Old Church" at Union & Jefferson Streets


 

 

 

Our current home.

CHURCH MILESTONES

Kokomo As A Lutheran Mission

1885    Rev. F. W. Husman, Pastor at Arcadia, conducted the first Lutheran service in Kokomo.

1895    Rev. H. Boester conducted services at Deffenbaugh's Hall, West Mulberry Street.

1903    Rev. Otto Turk reopened the mission in Kokomo and preached every other Sunday.

Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer

1916    Rev. George Kase conducted services the second Sunday of each month.

1918    Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer was organized on February 4 with a membership of 14 voting members, 80 baptized, and 48 communicant members.

1918    On May 12 a remodeled home at the corner of Union and Jefferson Streets was dedicated as the first church building.

1918 -1924  Rev. A. J. Stiemke became the first resident Pastor in August and served until 1924.

1925 -1936  Rev. W. G. Lobeck became the pastor of the congregation and served for 12 years.

1925    The cornerstone of the new church was laid on July 26 by the Rev. Theo. Schwan of Tipton.

1925    The new church was dedicated on December 6.

1936-1957  Rev. C. E. Ahlbrand serves as Pastor for 21 years.

1957-1967  Rev. Rudolph A. Ritz serves as Pastor for 10 years.

1965    The new church on Southway Boulevard is dedicated on August 1.

1967-1993 The Rev. A. Herbert Muhl serves as Pastor from September 1, 1967 to May 8, 1993.

1977    Plans for starting a daughter congregation are brought to fruition with ground-breaking services on the west side of Kokomo on June 19, 1977.

1978    The Missouri Synod Church has grown from a congregation of 80 baptized and 48 communicant members to 1164 baptized and 828 communicant members.

1978    The Rev. Robert Bohlmann is installed as Associate Pastor to assume pastorate of west side church.

1979    New westside mission is dedicated and named Good Shepherd Lutheran Church.

1981    Good Shepherd becomes an independent church as we transfer 158 communicants and 70 baptized members to their care.

1982    On April 4 (Palm Sunday) Rev. James W. Kreft is Ordained and Installed as Associate Pastor, Minister of Education and Youth.

1983    New Fellowship Hall is dedicated on October 2nd.

1984    Redeemer Lutheran School was built.

1984    On July 15th Kim Klemz is installed as first teacher of Kokomo Lutheran School.

1985    The Rev. William S. Allison was installed as Associate Pastor on June 23

1993    Our present Senior Pastor, William S. Allison - installed November 7

1994    The Rev. Scott G. Sommerfeld was installed as Associate Pastor on August 14

1998    New Redeemer School building dedicated in January

1999    The Rev. Barry A. Akers was installed as Family Life Pastor on December 19

2007    Redeemer Lutheran Church has grown to a congregation of 1429 baptized, 1162 comfirmed members and 454 families.